I'm not sure if it was a funnel cloud or not, but it sure looks like one. We didn't ever see it touch ground or anything. We got home and the sun was coming out and it was still warm and pleasant, so we ordered McDonald's for the kids and Brian and I picked up our take-out from the Stir Fry Cafe. Once we got back to our apartment, we put the kids to bed and watched the first two hours of Gone With The Wind on netflix, then went to bed. This morning when I woke up and checked facebook, I learned that there had been a tornado touch down only about 5 or 6 minutes away from us down by the medical school and VA grounds and that people around town had been without power for around 8 hours, multiple people had power lines down in their neighborhoods. How ours didn't go out, I have no clue. It was out at the house we used to live in though. People have told me that they heard a siren come from ETSU with a voice telling them to take cover. I've borrowed some pictures from other people of the path of destruction it left behind. It's kind of eerie how our night was so different from the nights of others just 5 minutes away.
Here's a link to a news report about it.
These are pictures from my friend Tiffany's house. Their shed USED to be attached to the house. You can go to her BLOG for her account of the tornado.
These next pictures are of the VA Grounds where the medical school is located. Pictures are courtesy Kim Brookes. You can view her blog HERE for her details.
Trees literally broken in half near the medical school parking lot.
This building behind the fallen down trees was where Brian's White Coat ceremony was held his first year of medical school.
Click on this picture to enlarge it and look at the roof on the building in the background.

















2 comments:
That's SO crazy! We are SO SO happy you guys are safe!!!
I agree with Janice. Crazy Crazy.
Post a Comment